Bulgarian residence for EU citizens

How do I become a resident of Bulgaria?

EU citizens can apply for Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card by having a proof of accommodation and sufficient funds to support their stay in Bulgaria. This is administrative service provided by the Migration Directorate. The residence application is lodged at the local Migration Office in the district where the accommodation is located. 

Time to obtain Bulgarian residence

EU citizens are granted Bulgarian residence within 3 working days after the application is received. If you choose our services, you will lodge your application on Day 1, you will be photographed on Day 2, and you will receive your Bulgarian residency card on Day 3. If you cannot stay for longer than 2 working days in Bulgaria, you can grant a power of attorney to our law firm and we will collect the residency card on your behalf and dispatch to your address abroad with DHL Courier services. 

Bulgarian residence for UK citizens

UK citizens can apply for Bulgarian residence as EU citizens by end of 31.12.2020. After the Brexit transitional period, UK citizens will be required a long-term D visa in order to apply for Bulgarian residence. A D visa applicant has to satisfy the requirements of one of the 15 D visa categories.

Family members of UK citizens

Family members of UK citizens can apply for family reunification by 31.12.2021 if the main applicant got Bulgarian residence by the end of the Brexit transition period of 31.12.2020.

Family reunification for non-EU family members of EU citizens

Once you have been granted Bulgarian residency you can apply for family reunification for your non-EU family members. The family members have to enter Bulgaria on a valid Bulgarian C visa or a valid Schengen visa. The family reunification application is considered within 3–5 working days of submission.

Our law firm can assist you with the preparation of a sponsor letter for your family members who intend to apply for a Bulgarian C visa. When applying for a C visa with the nearest Bulgarian embassy or general consulate, you have to show substance in Bulgaria by one of the below ways: 

Family reunification for unmarried cohabiting couples

Since the begining of 2019 cohabiting couples can no longer apply for family reunification in Bulgaria. To be eligible for family reunficiation, you have to be married and provide a legalized marriage certificate.

Who is considered a family member?

  1. Spouses
  2. Children below 21 years of age
  3. Parents
  4. Parents-in-law

Siblings and extended family members are not allowed to apply for family reunification in Bulgaria. 

Advantages of applying for family reunification in Bulgaria

  • Family members are not required to provide a CBR check. 
  • Renting or buying a property in Bulgaria is more affordable than in any other EU member state.
  • Legal fees in Bulgaria are much lower than that of immigration lawyers in the United Kingdom or in any other EU member state.
  • Bulgarian migration authorities are trying to attract an educated labour force from non-EU member states and therefore, there is a relaxed immigration policy on non-EU citizens.

What do you get when you are granted Bulgarian residence?

For more details about obtaining Bulgarian residence, please feel free to contact us


Accounting Services in Bulgaria

Bulgaria Tax Resident