Who can apply for extension of a Bulgarian visa or visa-exempt period?
You are in Bulgaria for a short stay on business or as a tourist. You have a Bulgarian visa or, you are allowed to be here in the visa-exempt period for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days. You want to extend your visa-exempt period or visa.
Can I extend a D visa in Bulgaria? – No
D visas are non-extendable. If you hold a valid D visa you can apply for a Bulgarian residency card. Residency cards for non-EU citizens start with validity of 3 to 12 months. The state fee for a residency card valid for up to 6 months is 100 EUR and 250 EUR for a 12 months card.
Can I extend a Schengen visa in Bulgaria? – No
Bulgaria is not a Schengen member state and you cannot extend a Schengen visa in Bulgaria. Bulgaria is expected to join the Schengen member state in Jan 2024. You can read more about the difference between Bulgarian and Schengen visas.
Conditions for extension of a Bulgarian visa or visa-exempt period
The following conditions apply to extension of a short-stay visa or a visa-exempt period:
- There is a very unusual and unexpected situation. You are unable to leave Bulgaria due to a serious reason.
- You have to apply for the extension before the C visa is expired or you overstayed the visa free period.
- Please note that the C visa can be extended with a maximum of 90 days. You cannot be in Bulgaria longer than 180 days unless you hold a valid residency card.
- You have travel health insurance. This must also be valid for the duration of your additional stay in Bulgaria.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after the newly planned departure date.
Documents you need
You must provide documents showing that you meet the extension conditions. To apply for extension of a Bulgarian tourist or business visa or visa-exempt period you need the following documents:
- Your valid passport
- Documents showing your reason to apply for extension
- Travel health insurance for the duration of your additional stay
- The rest of the documents will be prepared by our Bulgarian immigration lawyers
How to apply for extension
To apply for an extension of a visa for short-stay or visa-exempt period at the local Migration Office, please contact our team of dedicated Bulgarian immigration lawyers and we will make an appointment on your behalf.
Cost of extension of a Bulgarian visa or visa-exempt period
There is no fixed service fee for the extension of C visa or visa free stay. The fee is determined based on the applicant circumstances and urgency.